This subject is concerned with understanding the environment in which business operates. As a business student you are encouraged to show enterprise, initiative and self-reliance, which you may apply in further education and in your personal, working and public life. This is a practical and vocationally-oriented course that introduces students to the world of business in a straightforward and logical way. It aims to create an awareness of the importance of business activity and to develop a positive and ethical attitude towards it. The importance of people in business is highlighted. The course sets out to illustrate the process of setting up a business and developing a new product or service. It emphasises the importance of good management and deals with skills and activities necessary for good management practice. It also deals with the impact of technology, foreign trade, global firms and competition and with business structures and the national economy.
What do you Study?
You study all aspects of the business world.
You learn about
People in Business: Entrepreneurs, Consumers, Producers, Investors, Interest Groups, Employers, Industrial Relations
Enterprise: Starting and Running your own Business, Management of Business, Financial Planning, Human Resources Management, Marketing, Enterprise in the Community Environment in which Business Operates: Legal Structure of Business, Government Regulation, Taxation, European Union (EU), International Monetary Fund (IMF), International Trade, Ethical Business, Role of Information Technology in Business, Smart Economy.
How can you benefit by studying Business for Leaving Cert.?
You will understand the structure and management of business. You will be able to understand & discuss current affairs as they relate to business. You will develop your communication, literacy, numeracy and problem solving skills.
Third Level Entry Requirements
This subject is not an essential requirement for any courses in the CAO system. Though not essential for any course it provides an excellent foundation for anyone contemplating a business career. Many colleges offer business courses and courses containing strong business elements. It is therefore very useful to have background knowledge from your Leaving Cert Course.
Finance and Management, Teaching, Marketing, Event Management, Taxation, Setting up your own Business. Most careers today benefit from a good background knowledge of the business world.
• There are 7 core units covering the following topics: Introduction to people in business; Enterprise; Managing 1 & 2; Business in action; Domestic Environment and International Environment.
• There is a common syllabus covering Higher and Ordinary Level, which will fulfill the aims and objectives of the course.
• A flexibility of design that caters for present day Irish business education and yet is capable of adaptation to future developments in a structured and efficient way.
• It assists students to develop their education for adult and working life including the creationof positive attitudes towards self-employment.
• From time to time there may be field trips or guest speakers where the course allows. These are not a compulsory part of the course and are organized at the teachers’ discretion.